Have you ever thought that every time you buy something, your action has consequences? When we buy, we have to choose and we have to be aware of what and how we consume.
The exceptional situation produced by the COVID-19 has been a good opportunity to reflect on our habits and see which ones we want to keep and which ones to change.
Today we talk about responsible consumption and we give you 7 reasons to join it.
When we add the term “responsible” to our consumption, we are adding value to the choice we make every day as consumers among the different goods and services the market offers us. In other words, we are becoming aware of the importance of an action that, on a daily basis, does not cease to be vital. That is why, before buying, we should ask ourselves some questions: Do I need what I am going to buy? Am I choosing freely or am I acting compulsively? How long am I going to use it? Could I borrow it from someone I know? Is it made from recyclable materials? Who made the product and how?
If we make an effort to find the answers, we will surely buy in a much more responsible way and this will have a clear impact on both social and environmental levels.
7 reasons to believe in responsible consumption
1. We will eat better and avoid food waste. Food is a crucial element in the climate emergency. Not wasting food is one of the key points of responsible consumption: Throwing food away is no longer an option, we must plan our purchases well and bet on healthy, local food. If we take the opportunity to innovate and create new recipes, we do not waste any food.
At the same time, responsible consumption is a practice that is also spreading and establishing itself throughout the gastronomy and catering sector. The new law obliges establishments to reduce their food waste, and many consumers decide where to go according to the sustainable commitment of the premises.
2. We will help local commerce. Consuming responsibly also means investing in local, zero-kilometre products. Shops and commerce contribute to the local economy which is a very important source in the current context for the recovery of our city. Moreover, they contribute to the vitality and improvement of the neighbourhood, give atmosphere and personality to the streets and fill them with people, turning them into busy areas. Without shops, the buildings would be degraded and the neighbourhoods would be deserted.
3. We will protect the environment. Before buying a product, let’s think about the environmental footprint it carries, from obtaining the raw materials with which it is made to the management of final waste, through production and use. It is very important to prioritise those products with the lowest environmental impact and reduce the consumption of the most limited natural resources.
4. We will save at home. If we consume in a responsible way, we will buy less and better, and this will lead to economic savings. Responsible consumption also pushes us towards greater energy efficiency and today there are many household appliances and systems in this line, which make our homes more efficient, reduce the impact on the environment and also generate economic savings.
5. We will bet on the three R’s. Responsible consumption also leads us to recycle, reduce and reuse. Let’s look for alternatives that minimize the exploitation of natural resources, such as giving a second life to some products through second-hand markets, exchanges or the repair of objects and machinery.
6. We will have a responsible attitude towards others. Responsible consumption values the labour rights of the people who work on the final product we will end up buying. If we opt for this type of consumption, we will be defending in the first person the obligation to guarantee the same rights for all people.
7. We will value more that which is not material. Every day we are exposed to numerous stimuli that invite us to consume and to possess more and more, in a compulsive and unnecessary way. Responsible consumption also implies leaving behind the society of materialism in order to value everything that does not cost money but enriches us enormously and, at the same time, to become aware that, with less, we live better.
At Withfor we are convinced that each of us can turn our purchasing power into an important instrument of change towards a more sustainable world. In most cases, responsible consumption only implies a conscious change in our habits.
By applying small gestures such as opting for local consumption of products and services we can generate great and very positive dynamics for our future in the city and the planet. We invite you to take a look at our services here.
People have a great capacity for resilience. We overcome adversity and grow in the face of challenge. A good example of this is the numerous solidarity initiatives that have emerged in response to the coronavirus crisis in Barcelona and many...
El confinamiento decretado para combatir la pandemia del coronavirus ha obligado a modificar nuestra forma de vida y a pasar todo el tiempo en casa. Si bien al inicio puede resultar incómodo, creemos que es una gran oportunidad para sacar...